The Bank of Elk River serves the financial needs of individuals and businesses in Elk River, Otsego, and Zimmerman Minnesota.
Check Recipient Checklist
In an effort to fight the increasing numbers and forms of fraud by counterfeit cashiers checks, if you are a recipient of a check, ask yourself the following questions. If you can answer "Yes" to any of the following, you may be a victim of a scam.
- Is the check proceeds for an item you sold on the Internet such as a car, boat, jewelry, etc.?
- Is the amount of the check more than the selling price of the item?
- Have you been instructed to wire funds out of the country as soon as possible?
- Is the check from an individual you have communicated with via email?
- Is the check drawn on a business or individual different from the person buying your item or product?
- Have you been informed that you were the winner in a lottery that you did not enter?
- Have you been asked to assist in the distribution of money from another country?
Contact Bank personnel immediately if you answered "Yes" to any of the questions. Con artists are making a very good living out of this particular fraud. The best way to stop this fraud is to detect the counterfeit item before it is deposited and before YOU become a victim.